Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Changes, food and a great protein bar

Life is good for me. I'm learning what it is going to be like for the rest of my life. My lifestyle change is finally settling in. I am doing so much better than I was a few months. I will occasionally come across things that don't agree (last night home made chicken & veggie Chinese style and tonight some soup) but most of the time things sit well with me. I have to be aware of what I am putting in my mouth which is a change from the norm. Prior to surgery I would be known to eat without thinking about it. I go into some black cloud in my head and just eat as much as I could. I now have to always be present which is something we should all do.


I'm learning I don't need food to survive but I need food to live. That is something that is pretty deep with me. I'm all about living life to the fullest; whereas, prior to surgery I was just surviving. Yes, my knees are still holding me back a bit BUT they are better than they were. They aren't great but I am not walking with a cane which goes to show that I am getting better.


I no longer have a relationship with food. Instead I focus on relationships with my family and friends. That is something that is so important to me and I've been selfish and sort of put my friends and family on the side and focused on food. Well I'm slowly trying to rekindle some of what I have destroyed, if possible. I have friends nearby and then I have those that aren't close but I still love them. My shout-outs today go to Jen & Ray B. and family, Michele N., Paul J., Mike R., Jennifer A., Susan S. - thank you so much for being my friend and for always supporting me no matter what.


Exercise is still fun and I went and exercises even though it was cold and rainy. The pool is heated but it still was cold even while working out. I just kept thinking about the Jacuzzi which I got into after my workout and it was so nice and warm and cozy. I'm going to have to workout when it is cold and rainy there are no excuses anymore!


I have a great new protein bar I discovered. It is made by Quest and my favorite flavor is Peanut Butter & Jelly. They are all natural, gluten-free, 4g net carbs, 20g protein, no sugar alcohol, and no trans fat. Since I can no longer eat bread this really satifies my need for  a PB&J sandwich. They are a bit chewy, which I didn't expect, but they are delicious. Try them out by visiting their website http://www.questproteinbar.com/.


I had so much good stuff to say but now my brain is shutting down and telling me I need to sleep. I will be back to post and hopefully will be able to remember what I was going to say.


Update: I've lost a total of 163 pounds [86 since surgery & 77 prior to surgery]. Wow those numbers are just adding up quickly. So proud of myself to see those numbers!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

so proud of you! :)

SunnySusan said...

Woo Hoo...great stats Shanda...
I have had stomach problems for a while now. I always thought it was something I ate or a touch of food poisoning. Well, on Sept 21 Wed at midnight I had the worse pain in my upper stomach I have ever had and had to go to the ER. Well, 10 hours later I had a room upstairs at Tri City and was told I had an acute attack from gall stones. I had a swollen pancreas, and liver and the gall bladder had to be removed. But they had to wait until the swelling went down so I had surgery on the 26 Mon and stayed 2 more days in the hospital.
What a horrible ordeal. I did have laproscopy surgery so at least I am not healing from a huge cut across my belly, but wow...that pain was intense.
Weird, I would have never thought about gall stones, I have heard of kidney stones, but never thought I would have surgery for my gallbladder.
I am doing ok, healing slowly. Just really have no energy at all. Paul such a sweet heart is cleaning up after dinner and such.
I cannot eat very much which is a good thing and I teased the surgeon if he cut my stomach in half cuz that is about only what I can eat. Since then I have lost 16 pounds. If I can keep up the smaller meals, I can continue to lose.

You are doing great my friend....

Post a Comment