Monday, May 30, 2011

Update on my surgery

Dear Friends and Family,

As you know my surgery is in 2 weeks (June 14th). I am getting very scared but also very excited at getting the surgery part done and over with and starting my new life. This is what us fellow weight loss surgery people call our surgiversary or our re-birthday. A 2nd chance in order to live and be healthy. As with any surgery it is scary. I’ve been through anesthesia 3 times before but this time seems scarier.  I suppose because the previous 3 times I didn’t have time to think about it. In any event I am thinking positive and I know I will get through it just fine. I am also thinking positively about having an easy experience as many people have.

I am struggling with getting well. That is to say as I posted on my blog the other day (not all of you are subscribed to it) I started to get a sore throat Thursday and by Saturday morning when I woke up I had kicked it out of my system. I was feeling great that my body was strong and able to kick it out without actually getting sick (sore throat is always a precursor to a cold or something else for me usually). In the past it was inevitable I was going to get sick once I got a sore throat but not this time. Then I woke up this morning and my throat was sore and laughing at me(well not literally). Sore throat and lots of dryness and ickyness (yes, I make up words). So back to kick this in the butt again so wish me luck. Lots of rest today. Tried going to sleep earlier but can’t sleep.

In any event I wanted to let you all know that I am going to request no visitors at the hospital (with exception to people I’ve already talked to about coming to visit me –which is immediate family). The reason I am requesting this is mainly for your benefit. I am going to be so busy in the hospital (from what I hear) between having to constantly “sip” and walking and then taking some classes (I believe a exercise class) there is not going to be much time for visitors. I rather have visitors come to my house where I am in my own environment and hopefully feeling better. Then I can actually take time to visit as well. Plus I will need the support once I am home recovering. Either I will or I will have my husband update everyone. I’m thinking the best place is facebook for an update. It is just too time consuming to put everyone in an email from my phone (which is will be using). So if you aren’t already a friend on facebook click on the facebook logo facebook.bmp  or (www.facebook.com/shanda.macomber) to add me as a friend.  Of course family and friends can always call my husband or my Mom. If you don’t have their phone numbers please email me and I will give you their phone numbers. My husband text messages my Mom doesn’t (FYI). They will both be waiting at the hospital. Again there will be no complications but I know how it is just waiting to hear. Please let me know when I’m ok too. J

I will be at the hospital 3-4 days approximately. So this means I will be home by Friday is my hope. The sooner I can be at home the happier I will be (nothing like sleeping in hospital rooms and hospital beds, yuck). My surgery will be at Scripps Mercy Hospital which is in Hillcrest area for you locals that know the area. I don’t have a time and am told I won’t know until my pre-op appointment which is the day before at 11:00.

I am so ready for this and right now these 2 weeks is more like torture just waiting for it to come. UGGGHHH!!!! But I could use all the prayers, positive vibes, good juju, whatever it is you have to send my way. Not only for the day of surgery but these next two weeks. I’m already getting nervous which means butterflies in my stomach and feeling nauseous. When I get nervous I hold it in my stomach. So help me release that stomach jitters!

THANK YOU for your support. Your love. Your prayers. Everything that you have given me while on my journey. It’s been quite a journey. Many of you have been along since you watched me lose 115 pounds all the way to my highest point where I weighed 579 pounds. Yes, I haven’t posted that weight EVER. I’ve been ashamed of it. How did I gain back almost 200 pounds after losing 115? It happens. But this is it. My body can no longer hold that weight. It is finally feeling stronger because as of Thursday I am out of the 500’s! Woo hoo! I am down to 499 as of Thursday. I haven’t been able to properly celebrate due to my shame. But I have moved on from my shame and celebrate all victories no matter what. I am trying not to compare myself, a work in progress. My surgeon wanted me under 500 so I made it. Now feels like the best time to give the numbers. It is a huge reflection of where I have been and gone. Can you believe I have lost 80 pounds in the last year and am just back to where I started when I did medifast as my tool for the last time. It has been so much hard work and determination to get down only to my highest weight 5 years ago (or so). I must say that I have learned a lot and what is a journey without learning some things. I do know things happen for a reason and this is the path I had to take to realize I am not invincible. I can’t continue to weigh as much as I did and do the things many take for granted such as walking. I do not take walking for granted any longer because it was almost taken from me. Even now I can’t walk long distances but I can feel I am getting a lot stronger mainly due to water aerobics. Life is precious that is for sure.

I guess I had more on my mind than I thought. That is why I love doing blogs/emails. Things come out when they are meant to come out. Timing is everything. With that said I must end it at some point. Plus I need to get myself to sleep and wake up for a “Monday + Tuesday” at work tomorrow.

You are not taken for granted. I am grateful for YOU!



1 comments:

SunnySusan said...

Oh my goodness..you have my support...and my prayers...for a safe and easy surgery and for the time of waiting...I hate waiting...it is harder sometimes than the surgery itself.

I will be waiting for the update that you are doing well after the surgery....hugs

Post a Comment