Friday, April 8, 2011

Thyroid update....life...

So today was the appointment with the endocrinologist. I was originally told it was just a consultation appointment. Well it ended up being the biopsy appointment. I am so grateful my husband went with me. I was not nervous at first. I got nervous when I looked at the tray that was sitting next to me and it had a bunch of needles. I literally flipped out. I got so scared and I was crying. River hugged me for a brief moment which helped. He was trying to get my mind off of it by talking about random things (which is something he does well) which I definitely think is cute. I finally composed myself and the nurse walked in. She took my blood pressure and it was very high and she said she would take it again after the appointment because she could tell I was nervous. The first doctor came in and just asked questions, gave some history of a thyroid nodule, felt the nodule and answered any questions. He came back with another doctor ("the doctor") who said they would like to biopsy it now. They had me go to another room (so it wasn't even the needles I freaked out about) and they had me sit in the chair which eventually laid down. They put some iodine on the area and then they gave me a shot to numb the area (that hurt). After a few minutes they biopsied the area. They told me not to move or swallow. They pricked it 3 times (3 different needles) for 3 different biopsies. The last one he warned me they were going to go deeper. They hurt and mostly it was just very disconcerting to have something (a needle) inside of your throat. They were very professional and did a very good job of making me feel comfortable. My husband watched the whole thing on the screen as they used an ultra sound to locate the needle to make sure they were taking tissue from the correct place. After they cleaned the iodine up they gave me instructions to rest and keep it iced. They also instructed me not to go to work (which I had originally planned on going to work). So I came home checked my work emails and then put ice on my neck and took a nap. Right now it is very sore and just feels weird. I'm told I may get a bruise that may look like a hickey. So those of you that see me on a daily basis will know it isn't what you think and I am not white trash. LOL.

Overall the process was much easier than I had made it out to be in my head. I think we all do that though. We make it out to be so horrible in our heads and we go and it is no big deal. Well I wouldn't say it was no big deal but definitely easier than I had expected. They will have the results in 7 days. The other thing I was told was that because it is so large (now I can really tell and it is very big) that they recommend having it removed soon. They said as long as it isn't cancer that I could have my gastric bypass surgery and then when I get to a healthy weight that I should have this removed. They said it is always safer to do a surgery at a healthy weight that is why they recommend that. Also when they started putting the ultrasound on it the doctor said that it is pushing up against my trachea and eventually will definitely cause issues with my breathing. In fact right now it is having a impact and is pushing it to the side but eventually it will be a bad scenario that is why it does need to be removed. I asked about the pills and they said they don't do it because it causes osteoporosis and issues with the heart and kidneys and they believe it isn't worth it to put 2 organs at risk to shrink something that may or may not work. Radiation wouldn't work either but I wouldn't choose that as an option anyways. I have to go back in a year so they can measure it and see how much it has grown in a year. At that time (depending on how I am doing with my weight) they may schedule to have it removed. It would also depend on how big it has grown as well. Some different factors are involved. The important thing was they said I was ok to have the gastric bypass surgery as long as it isn't cancerous. They did say there is a low risk for cancer but it can happen. So I am keeping myself and my thyroid in my prayers and if you are spiritual/religious if you could do the same it would be great. I am thinking positive and everything is going to be fine!!!

I am having a hard time with the no bad carbs thing this week. I have been craving cereal of all things. I mean I want cereal for dinner. Honey bunches of Oats to be more specific. I want cereal for a snack. I have never been a big cereal eater ever. I mean I would eat it occasionally but I/River never really bought cereal often. So it is very odd. So I have given in and bought a box. Because I have been craving it for so long. I have learned about cravings. Most cravings are only cravings for a few seconds or maybe a few minutes. But cravings that go on for days are something you need to have and move on. You have to do it in the right proportion, of course. I think I miss the crunchy stuff. I don't eat anything crunchy really. I don't even usually care for crunchy as I usually like soft and mushy but I dunno. I am still doing protein shakes for breakfast. River and I have gotten pretty creative and have created all different types of delicious concoctions. So it is has been fun as well.

Thank you all for your support it means so much to me!

1 comments:

SunnySusan said...

I will be praying for you that is just a growth and nothing more...keep up the good work..

Post a Comment