Sunday, March 20, 2011

Good deed

So yesterday I ate beef for the first time in a very long time. I went to one of my old time favorite places, In-and-Out. I had it protein style so it was wrapped in lettuce. When River gave his order they made a mistake and we were charged for 3 burgers. We didn’t’ realize it until we our order was ready. River wanted to throw it out but I told him we should keep it for later. I knew we probably wouldn’t eat it but hey you never know. Well when we left there was a lady in the middle divide with a sign.  I don’t really even remember what the sign said. So I said to River, “Let’s give the extra food to the lady”. He rolled down his window and said, “Are you hungry?” and she nodded her head yes. We gave it to her. She had tears going down her eyes and it gave me chills and wanted to make me cry. I remember seeing her take her first bite and that was an amazing moment for me. Here I was, my entire life, addicted to food but yet here was someone starving and so grateful (I’m assuming) that she was crying. All that extra food I ate in the past could have gone to people who haven’t had meals in days or longer.  It really did humble me and made me realize just how selfish I have been. Of course I know there is much more to it than that as there are lots of reasons why I use food as my drug of choice but it definitely put a light bulb in my head. So the light turned green and we left and she turned around and waived at us. I waived back even though she probably didn’t see me. It felt good to do something good. I hesitate giving the people money because I know a lot of them are addicted to drugs and/or alcohol and I wouldn’t want to contribute to their addiction but giving them food is something they need and she seemed very hungry and very grateful.

We also went to the YMCA yesterday to check out the pool. I know I had mentioned I’m joining the YMCA but that was just a decision I had made, I actually haven’t done it yet. The pool has a ramp which is exactly what I’m looking for. The parking isn’t great but I have a handicap parking sticker and they have some handicap parking so I’m not too worried about it. I was ready to sign up but they said they could possibly waive the joining fee but that person that has that authority isn’t in until Monday. So River said he is going to call to see if we can get it waived since we were formerly a member of the YMCA. Either way we will join on Monday. I’m excited and scared. They keep the pool around 84-86 degrees which is a nice warm temperature for my knee. J It is a indoor pool so I can go even if it is raining. No more excuses!

Alright I am meeting with a friend I haven’t seen in forever. I am so excited to see her. I have to finish getting ready. Thanks for all of your love and support!

0 comments:

Post a Comment