Thursday, March 17, 2011

My appointment

So today I went to the doctor for several things but the main two were my thyroid and knee. The thyroid he looked at it and said oh yeah it is huge. He said I need to have a ultrasound. He said there is a 5% chance it is cancerous which made me feel better. No one knows why people get nodules on their thyroid but they do. Sometimes they can get too big and cause a narrowing of the throat which will cause a problem with breathing and eating and which at that time it will be recommended to be removed. So I have to make an appointment for the ultrasound and I can’t call for an appointment for 5 business days. UGGGHHH!

My knee…. I have patellar tendonitis which is when the kneecap (patella) shifts out of place as the leg bends or straightens. In most cases, the kneecap shifts too far toward the outside of the leg, although in a few people it shifts toward the inside. Yet another fun symptom of being overweight. So although I don’t have many “health conditions” I definitely have wear and tear on my body. My doctor was very good at explaining the x-rays I got last time and pointed where on my knee that particular “issue” was going on. I have spurs, arthritis, tendonitis… pretty much have it all. He said if I wouldn’t have lost the 62 pounds I’ve already lost I would be much worse off and possibly not able to walk. So he injected my knee with some medicine that numbed it for awhile (what a relief from the pain). It will also help heal it (hopefully). My knee hurts right now but it is more of a sore kind of hurt instead of the very intense pain. I was also given some strong painkillers to help with pain which I have taken one tonight which I’m sure also is helping. It is a painkiller but also a inflammation reducer. He also is sending me to physical therapy (again) to strengthen my thigh and my legs in general. He said my kneecap is basically floating around because my tendons and muscles in my legs aren’t strong enough to support my weight. There is much more but that is the cliff note version. I will see him again in 3 weeks so he can follow-up with my knee and see how I’m doing and go from there.
Again… I’m living each day… day by day. I have detached myself from coping with food. I eat small meals and can tell my stomach has shrunk already as I no longer can eat a full meal like I used to. I’m naturally shrinking my stomach. So far so good. I know there will be a day will I will really struggle with wanting something that I told myself I would never have again but I have to remind myself over and over again that my health is more important than that instant gratification. The gratification only lasts a small amount of time whereas my health lasts forever. I’m planting all the positive vibes in my head. I am reprogramming the way I think in preparation for surgery. I know surgery is not going to be easy, but the more I can do before surgery the easier it will be for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment