Sunday, March 27, 2011

New recipes

So this afternoon I decided to try some new recipes. I don't bake or cook like I used to. In fact I have to humbly admit that River has done most of the cooking. He enjoys cooking so I let him. He can't bake though. I can bake pretty darn good. So tonight. I went to theworldaccordingtoeggface blog and found a Mexican mini meatloaf recipe I thought I would try. I substituted ground turkey instead of beef but otherwise I pretty much followed the recipe. It did take some time to put together but it was delicious! River was very impressed how good it was and still healthy. I added some fage greek yogurt instead of sour cream and mixed it with some taco seasoning for some zest. The yogurt is high in protein. It is a bit bitter and I don't like it plain but love it with fruit or added to something else. Anyhow the meatloaf came out great and even I could eat it. I tend to have an issue with eating food I make (I usually don't like the taste). I added a bit of tapatio sauce for a little bit of zest and wahlah and delicious high protein meal. We have some leftovers as well so it will be nice to have again another night.

For dessert (which I often don't do now) I decided to try one of the 5 minute cakes that Shelley (the owner of the blog page) makes. I decided to make the 5 minute chocolate protein cake but I made a few changes. Instead of chocolate protein power I used chocolate-peanut butter protein powder. I used Torani sugar-free chocolate syrup. I usually don't like this flavor (hubby bought it and neither of us like the flavor) but in the cake it was good. I topped it with a little bit of peanut butter and a little bit of Torani sugar free chocolate sauce. DELICIOUS!! At some point this week I want to try one of the protein ice creams. Then I will get brave and try the ice cream cake. If I can get that for my birthday I will be happy. I did spend a lot of time on the meatloaf this afternoon but it was actually kind of fun. I could see myself getting into cooking more and experimenting with what I can eat that is healthy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment